Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Our Interview with Vi Hoang of Dolly Pearl

Breathtaking colors, lovely ruffle and flower details, and what we think are just the most perfect dresses all around… Dolly Pearl makes us swoon over each and every gown we see. Vi Hoang created this brilliant collection of dresses after designing for her own bridal party. Having an amazing sense of a woman’s body and incorporating her innovative ideas, she has created such flawless, modern designs. This collection is intended for a bride in search of beautiful, one of a kind dresses for her bridal party, that will make all her maids delighted to wear them on the big day! Vi was able to sit down to answer a few of our questions, even about her most embarrassing high school fashion faux pas…


BB: What do you think has been the most important factor in the success of your business?

V: The most important factor in the success of my business is the personal connection to my clients. In short, happy and satisfied clients equate to a successful business.

BB: When designing for women, specifically bridesmaids, what are your inspirations?

V: When designing for women/bridesmaids, my inspirations are simple--how do I make a woman feel comfortable and exquisite at the same time? Those are the two main points that I start with when I begin the design process. The creativity flows through my hands from there.


Vi's design studio

BB: Was there a specific event or person in your life that led you to begin designing bridesmaid dresses?

V: My wedding actually led me into designing bridesmaid and special occasion dresses and gowns. After my wedding was posted on my wedding photographer's blog, I began receiving numerous requests for my ready to wear styles in a variety of colors for bridal parties. I just thought it was so fun and special to be included on such an important day for brides. It was kismet!





 Katy Perry by Getty Images
 via MTV Style


BB: If you could give any famous woman a makeover, who would she be and how would you style her?

V: This is a tough one! I'm all for individuality in style, even if it's bad style! If I could give any famous woman a makeover it would be Katy Perry--she's all over the place! She has such an amazing figure, and occasionally she'll wear outrageous things to make a bold statement. I think she could still make a statement even if she tones it down a couple notches. You don't have to be outrageous to garner attention.

BB: What high school trend are you embarrassed to admit you followed?

V: I actually went through this horrible phase in high school where all I wore was Gap brand clothing--in black, white, and khaki colors. Talk about one-dimensional! The worst thing in the world to me is losing your individuality and conforming to the masses. Thankfully that was a very short phase.

BB: If you weren’t a designer, what career path would you have chosen?

V: If I wasn't a designer, I would definitely be doing something in the creative field. Before I was a fashion designer, I actually was an interior and graphic designer. I also love writing, so that's definitely something I would consider doing. It's creative, and a profound way to express myself.


Vi wearing the Melinda dress
BB: What is your favorite dress in your collection?

V: My favorite dress in the entire collection would have to be the Melinda dress. It’s minimal, yet sweet and simultaneously sexy. It's just perfect for any special occasion.

BB: Any advice for certain styles for different body shapes?

V: My advice for certain styles for different body shapes--if you're busty, a more tailored fit is ideal, hippy body types look amazing in super flowy dresses, and long torsos look amazing in belted and high waisted dresses.

BB: What are you carrying in your purse?

V: I keep the minimum in my purse--wallet, keys, the lipstick I'm wearing that day, powder compact, anti-bacterial hand lotion, business cards, and a miniature measuring tape roll.

                                                                                                             

                                                                                                                       Thank you Vi!
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment