Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Our Interview with Amsale









Amsale, a name synonymous with the wedding world and held in the highest of regards. Designer Amsale Aberra has given young girls and women alike reason to dream of their wedding day. Celebrated for her creations as being nothing less than beautiful, classic, glamorous, and overall breathtaking… we Bella’s are her biggest fans. We were honored to have Amsale be our designer interview this week, giving us a little more insight into the incredible designer that has graced our fashion world…




BB: Tell us a little about your background and how you got into the bridal world.

A: As a child in Ethiopia I loved to make my own clothes but didn't see fashion as a career. I came to the United States to study commercial art. Soon after, a revolution in my native country made it impossible for me to return. As a student, I started to design and sew my own clothing. It became clear that my true passion was fashion design, so I enrolled in New York’s Fashion Institute of Technology and then started my career as a design assistant for Harve Bernard.

While planning my own wedding, I searched to find a simple, refined wedding dress, but found little in the way of clean, sophisticated gowns. I was convinced I had discovered an untapped niche in the bridal market; elegant and understated dresses. I placed an ad for custom-made gowns for other brides who shared my taste and started my business out of my New York City loft apartment.

BB: What do you think has been the most important factor in the success of your business?

A: One thing I always emphasize is how important it is to be passionate about what you do. There will be many uphill challenges you will have to overcome, and if you do not love what you do, you will be tempted to quit. My continued passion has definitely been one of the most important factors in the success of my business.


G674J in Poppy



BB: When did you add bridesmaids to your collection and why?

A: The bridesmaid collection was added in 2001 because brides-to-be were looking for something classic and sophisticated not only for themselves, but also for their bridesmaids.


BB: When designing for women, specifically bridesmaids, what are your inspirations?

A: The bridesmaid dresses are made to compliment the bride, so I apply the same principles to the bridesmaid’s collection that I use to design the bridal collection.





G629C in Slate

BB: What is your favorite bridesmaid dress in the collection and how would you style it to wear again after the wedding?

A: My favorite bridesmaids dress in the collection right now is a strapless chiffon dress with a criss cross bodice. It has a classic silhouette and a beautiful fit. You can wear it casually with minimal jewelry, or dress it up with a statement piece or bold accessories.

BB: Any advice for certain styles for different body shapes?

A: I have created a very diverse line of silhouettes, including dresses with straps for women with a fuller bust or a natural waist to show off your figure. I am very conscious of the fact that women have different body types, and I design our bridesmaids dresses to ensure there is something for everyone.



G696C in Opal



BB: What does the future hold for Amsale?

A: I am committed to designing bridesmaid dresses that are beautiful and fashionable. I plan to expand the collection to include new styles, colors and fabrics.




Thank you Amsale, we look forward to many more beautiful designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment