Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Our Interview with Kendra Scott of Kendra Scott Jewelry

 




Bright, brilliant and bold. Three words that not only describe Kendra Scott’s amazing jewels, but also her personality! Kendra began her stunning line of jewelry with only $500 and the passion to create and amaze the fashion world. Her great sense of color and design add that extra something to the everyday woman’s outfit. Kendra’s work ethic goes above and beyond her business. She puts forth her endless positive energy toward raising her family and bettering the community, including The American Red Cross Association’s Go Red Campaign. We adore this modern day wonder woman and her fabulous jewelry line. Kendra was able to step away from her design table and answer a few of our questions…







Gwen Chandelier earrings
in Blue Iris via
Kendra Scott Jewelry


BB: What do you think has been the most important factor in the success of your business?

KS: Surrounding myself with great people who are doers and believe that through hard work and true passion for what you love anything is possible! I also believe that one key factor for my success is reaching out to others and realizing it is okay to ask for help. I have some amazing mentors that have given me guidance and words of wisdom when I needed it most. I truly could also not ask for better support from my friends and family, they are my backbone and keep me motivated!




Kendra's Color Bar in the new
 Beverly Hills store
BB: When designing your gorgeous jewelry, what are your inspirations?

KS: I am constantly in search of inspiration. I look for new ideas for designs in everything I see whether it comes from nature, architecture, a fabulous colored fabric or an old photo, if it catches my attention, it inspires me. I literally have started to draw on napkins at a restaurant with something I saw that I needed to remember… my poor husband is always finding me a pen to borrow!

BB: Was there a specific event or person in your life that led you to begin designing?

KS: My beautiful and amazing Aunt Jo Ann. She was Fashion Director for a major department store chain and would come home from the runway shows in Milan and Paris with amazing stories and even more amazing clothes! I always admired her work ethic and how absolutely chic and fashionable she always looked. She was the one who taught me how to trend forecast and initially sparked my interest in design. She recently dug up all of her old slides from the fashion shows she attended in the 80's and 90's. I remember looking at these with her as a young girl and I dreamed that someday I too could be part of this magical world of fashion!



Hillary Clinton via
Daily Mail 

BB: If you could give any famous woman a makeover, who would she be and how would you style her?

KS: I secretly have always wanted to give Hilary Clinton a makeover. She is such a strong woman and I think she is sometimes afraid to look feminine in the predominately male world of politics. I would love to see her in more feminine silhouettes and gorgeous jewel tones colors. She has a very regal look to her and is a beautiful woman; she just needs that little extra oomph!

BB: What high school trend are you embarrassed to admit you followed?

KS: Oh my, you should see the pictures with my teased hair and blue eyeliner! I also owned some big scrunchies! (Shh… don’t tell!)

BB: If you weren't a designer, what career path would you have chosen?

KS: I can’t imagine being anything else besides a designer! My job encompasses everything that I am passionate about and has allowed me to focus only three core values of family, fashion and philanthropy!



KS in her Karina peacock
feather earrings


BB: What's your favorite piece in your collection?

KS: The Karina peacock feather earrings in gold are my favorite piece. They are so fabulous and sculpted making a statement every time I wear them. They take me from the soccer field to a red carpet event and everything in between! They are also a favorite of Hilary Duff and Rachael Ray!

BB: Any hints to what in store for your new collection?

KS: My Resort collection showcases some new sparkling, super-faceted stone shapes. The new additions to our feather collection are gorgeous!        The colors are bright, bold, and beautiful, making for that perfect pair of earrings or chic necklace to pull you out of the cold weather rut!

Pink Abena Cuff via Kendra Scott Jewelry






BB: Do you have any accessory rules to live by?

KS: Don't be afraid to make a statement and layer, layer, layer! I love layering necklaces and bangles all the way up my arm!

BB: What's in your purse?

KS: My purse is filled with everything! I'm a mom of two little boys, so I always have Band-Aids and hand sanitizer… boys are messy! You can also find my iPhone and a mini mason Pearson brush, my favorite brush on the planet. I am also never without my lip-gloss; it is my staple beauty product!


Thank you Kendra!

No comments:

Post a Comment