Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Our Interview with Jenny Yoo




From strikingly beautiful bridal gowns to a fresh modern take on bridesmaid dresses, Jenny Yoo’s designs are adored by brides and their maids. Jenny’s amazing ability to create dresses that flawlessly combine traditional elegance with modern appeal has made the Jenny Yoo Collection wonderfully unique. In her new 2012 Collection, Jenny brought us two new innovative styles, Keira and Aidan. These two fabulous dresses have convertible panels that allow you to alter the dress, giving you multiple neckline and skirt options… absolute perfection for the bride trying to accommodate all her maids! These are just some of the many reasons we are smitten by Jenny’s lovely creations. Jenny was able to chat with us more about her inspirations for her collection and how she has been able to keep up with the growing success of her company…




Jenny and her team
BB: What do you think has been the most important factor in the success of your business?

JY: Hands down, my amazing team here at Jenny Yoo Collection. We are the successful company we are today because of their hard work, loyalty and commitment to our brand and to our clients. I’ve also been fortunate to have my own sister and brother as a part of my company. My brother, David literally spends countless hours making sure that production runs smoothly and my sister Ellen, who runs our LA Showroom has been the wonderful support system that I can always count on. I can truly say that this is a family affair.






BB: When designing for women, specifically bridesmaids, what are your inspirations?

JY: Lots of things inspire me…latest runway looks, people, colors, images, emotions…once my creative juices start flowing, I can stay up all night designing and expanding on the small idea that sparked that inspiration. It’s really important for me to create and design something that will flatter the woman’s body.









BB: Was there a specific event or person in your life that led you to begin designing bridesmaid dresses?

JY: I happened to be designing for Ann Taylor when I was also asked to be a bridesmaid in my best friend’s wedding. I recall going from one bridesmaids shop to another and finding myself being disappointed with the selection that was out there. We ended up ordering dresses for her wedding but it was such a horrible experience from the colors, silhouettes to the customer service. I knew that there was a huge need for stylish bridesmaid’s dresses-and that is how Jenny Yoo Collection was born. I left my designer job at Ann Taylor and took a huge gamble starting my own business working in my tiny 400 square foot apartment in New York. After 10 years, I’ve been so blessed and fortunate to have the success I have today.

Image via Jillian Michaels

BB: If you could give any famous woman a makeover, who would she be and how would you style her?

JY: This is a tough one but I would have to say Jillian Michaels from "The Biggest Loser.” She has an athletic build and is always shown in athletic wear. I would love to see her in a softer, more feminine look. When she's not wearing athletic gear, she's usually seen in very tight fitted dress styles. I would love to see her soften her look by wearing more looser, flowy chiffon styles in bold colors like yellow, corals, and emerald green paired with fun and fabulous accessories that make a statement.




Images via ValCityGal / Like Totally 80s




BB: What high school trends are you embarrassed to admit you followed?

JY: Oh goodness! If you can imagine…Belted oversized pastel colored 'Au Coton" Sweat Shirt ensemble and bright white scrunched socks…finished off with my perfectly teased hair and big hoop earrings. Oh and there was also the acid washed fringed jean jacket, Z Cavarichi's, and Frosted zinc pink lipstick. I hope that these trends never return, how embarrassing!







BB: If you weren't a designer, what career path would you have chosen?

JY: I’m not sure if I could pursue any other career path. I love designing and have a passion for creating pretty dresses. However, I also love the business side of my job. So, if I were to choose another career path, it will definitely be starting another entrepreneurial business. I’m not quite sure what area of interest it would be, but I can certainly say I love taking a simple idea whether it be a product or service and branding it with it’s special niche. I love being involved in all aspects of my business from sketching, development, pr/marketing, sales, accounting, to production. I find that the challenges in owning my business make my job really interesting and enjoyable.

BB: What is your favorite dress in your collection?

JY: I would have to say that our Aidan and Keira convertible dresses are definitely my favorite styles. I love how versatile and flattering they are on ANY body type. I’m all about providing options for our clients and I absolutely LOVE the fact that the dresses are beautiful on its own as a strapless dress but then can be transformed over 10 new necklines. This is one bridesmaid’s dress that I truly believe can be worn again and again.

Aidan dress



BB: Any advice for certain styles for different body shapes?

JY: Sweetheart strapless gowns are definitely the trend these days. They create a soft feminine neckline for girls, but for many busty girls they tend to shy away from them. But I find it amazing how just the right tack placement can make all the difference in the world. A-line silhouettes are also the go to cut for most bridal parties if you are trying to accommodate different body types. If one prefers a more fitted silhouette, one can always have a tailor take in the side seams to create a more flattering fit. You can’t do the same the other way around.







BB: What are you carrying in your purse?

JY: I have to say that I am rarely seen carrying around a purse. With 2 young children, 1 & 4, you’re more likely to see me carrying around an oversized tote. Today I have my iPad, random magazine tears for inspiration, pencils & sketch pad, cellphone, hair ties of all colors, chewing gum…oh and of course a stash of diapers and wipes. What a glamorous life!

                                                                                                        Thank you Jenny!

1 comment:

  1. I would like to know if the convertible dress that you can wear multiple was come in chiffon

    ReplyDelete