Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Our Interview with Katherine of LulaKate

Elle, Pearl, Chandler, Zoe.....
What comes to mind when hearing these names? Well for the Bella gals, we think of bright colors, party skirts and absolutely adorable bridesmaid dresses by LulaKate! LulaKate’s founder, Katherine McDonald, started her fabulous bridesmaid collection in 2007 in her hometown of Charleston, South Carolina. Katherine has perfected her collection with a range of different styles and silhouettes for any body type, and cleverly giving them names of different women. LulaKate offers maids personality to their dresses, making this collection so special!

We were lucky enough to catch up with Katherine, so she could answer a few of our questions we were dying to ask.......


BB: What do you think has been the most important factor in the success of your business?
Katherine (center)

K: I have tried to provide the best customer service possible to all of our clients over the years. It is very important to me that someone has a wonderful experience at LulaKate, therefore customer service is our top priority. I feel it is the key to our success.

BB: When designing for women, specifically bridesmaids, what are your inspirations?

K: I believe that the bridesmaids should not outshine the bride. I feel that something classic, yet modern is the best choice for their attire. A bride should look at her pictures in 20 years and still love them as much as she does a year after she gets married. I am inspired by old Hollywood and style icons of the 60's… anything that is timeless.

BB: Was there a specific event or person in your life that led you to begin designing bridesmaid dresses?

K: A close friend's sister was getting married and she insisted I do the bridesmaid dresses. At the time I was only doing Ready-to-Wear and I was terrified but I said yes anyway.

BB: If you could give any famous woman (current or historical) a makeover, who would it be and how would you style them?

K: There isn't anyone I necessarily can think of that I would want to makeover but I would love the opportunity to design a dress for Rachel McAdams. She always looks fantastic and dressing her for a red carpet event would be a lot of fun.





BB: What high school trend are you embarrassed to admit you followed?

K: I am embarrassed to say that I once wore baggy jeans and flannel shirts.

BB: If you weren't a designer, what career path would you have chosen?

K: I have a psychology degree so I could see myself being an art therapist for children or a counselor for troubled teenage girls.


                                                                     Thank you, Katherine....it was great chatting with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment