Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Our Interview with Ariane of TwoBirds



We used to think that a dress is limited to one look (ok, maybe you can throw a cardigan over it, or pair it with flats instead of heels) until Ariane Goldman turned our world upside down! Ariane, the founder and creator of twobirds, designed a phenomenal dress that comes in two sizes, four different lengths, 20 colors and over 15 ways to wrap! It's the ultimate dress for women of all shapes and sizes. As a bride, you can give your maids a choice in whether they would like to tie their dress in a Grecian twist, one shoulder, or even wear the fabulous frock as a strapless gown. Ariane has graciously given us some of her time so we could hear how she developed such an amazing dress and to learn a little more about this talented woman!

BB: What do you think has been the most important factor in the success of your business?

A: I believe in designing a product that women of all shapes and sizes can relate to. The fact that twobirds dresses can be wrapped to flatter various sizes and shaped women is a key attribute... it seems to make sense for women everywhere.

BB: When designing for women, specifically bridesmaids, what are your inspirations?

A: I always think comfort is the greatest inspiration so draping and flowing silhouettes inspire me.

BB: How did you come up with the amazing idea for the twobirds signature dress?

A: As I was planning my wedding four years ago I was shocked to find that there was nothing out there for my bridesmaids to wear that made them feel beautiful and that they could wear again. I had a vintage Norma Kamali dress that wrapped various ways and it dawned on me that that's what I wanted my bridesmaids to have, similar shape and fabric but different styles as they all had different body types. I bought fabric and started working with a draper and the twobirds dress was born! The reaction at the wedding was so strong I quit my corporate job and started twobirds bridesmaid three months later.

BB: Where do you see the future of the dress evolving?

A: Since the dress is really so versatile I don't want to change the essence of the dress but would love to evolve the fabrics and adornments. We've recently added rosettes to the collection and they are a hit for the maid of honor to stand out a bit, or the entire bridal party so I think I'm going to look to more trimmings. We're also going to launch a chiffon collection too. The dress will be chiffon on the bottom, which flows amazingly and adds such elegance.



BB: Was there a specific event or person in your life that led you to begin designing bridesmaid dresses?

A: My wedding and the desperate search for my own bridesmaids!


BB: What high school trend are you embarrassed to admit you followed?

A: Z Cavaricci pleated pants. I wore them in EVERY color!





BB: If you weren't a designer, what career path would you have chosen?

A: Well since I was on Wall Street for 8 years before I changed paths, I've been able to make that decision once which has been SO rewarding. If I did it again perhaps an interior designer as I love to scour flea markets and to create spaces for every occasion!

BB: What's your favorite dress in your collection?

A: The twobirds ball gown length with the rosette bottom, I feel like a princess in it!

BB: Any hints to what is in store for this Fall?

A: Chiffon and Ombre.

BB: Advice for certain styles for different body shapes?

A: I think strapless is great for busty as is sleeves so you can wear a bra. The one shoulder is wonderful for larger women as the asymmetry draws attention and attracts the eye.


BB: What's in your purse?

A: My wallet, sunglasses, Carmex, travel size “Issey Miyake” perfume, picture book of my 8-month daughter Charlie, Altoids, and keys!


                                                                                   Thank you Ariane!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I can not wait to get some of yoru dresses...saves me soo much trouble hunting the dresses for my brides maids...so no oen of them can complain about "that does not fit me .." THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete