Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Our Interview with Amy of Swoon

It is not difficult to fall for Amy Wong Micucci’s gorgeous line of bridesmaid dresses. We here at Bella have been under a Swoon love spell since being introduced to Amy’s creation of modern dresses. Her visions of fabulous destinations in mind… the Hamptons, beautiful Barbados and Florence are just some places that have inspired her flawless and flattering frocks. We got the opportunity chat with Amy and get to know her a little more...

BB: What do you think has been the most important factor in the success of your business?

A: I've learned throughout my career that you're only as good as the people you surround yourself with, so I would say that the most important factor in the success of my business has been the partnerships I've formed - in retail (LOVE those Bella ladies!), in production, product development, marketing, etc…

BB: When designing for women, specifically bridesmaids, what are your inspirations?

A: As you can tell by the names of the dresses in my line, a lot of my inspiration from the places I've traveled to (or hope to travel to!). The idea of "vacation" also inspires me quite a bit - everyone feels a little more relaxed & beautiful when they're away on holiday and that's how I want women to feel when they wear my dresses. I hate the idea of anything constricting or overly fussy.



BB: Was there a specific event or person in your life that led you to begin designing bridesmaid dresses?

A: Yes - I was over at my best friend's house and she showed me a closet that literally looked like Katherine Heigl’s in the movie “27 Dresses” with dozens of bridesmaids dresses that she only wore once… but felt too guilty to get rid of. We started talking about creating a bridesmaid line that was influenced by contemporary fashion with dresses that girls would actually want to wear post-wedding and Swoon was born!

BB: If you could give any famous woman (current or historical) a makeover, who would it be and how would you style them?

A: Not sure about a make-over, but there are plenty of famous women that I'd love to make-under & I'd start with the "Real Housewives" on Bravo!

BB: What high school trend are you embarrassed to admit you followed?

A: Pegged jeans, scrunchies, floral print baby doll dresses with bike shorts underneath! Anything you see on a Beverly Hills 90210 re-runs, I probably wore it!

BB: If you weren't a designer, what career path would you have chosen?

A: If I wasn't designing, I would definitely still be doing something else in the fashion world... most likely continuing my former career in merchandising & buying. I honestly can't imagine being in any other industry.

BB: What would you change about your wedding, whether that is the dress, the decor, the venue, etc...?

A: I loved absolutely everything about my wedding,  so the only thing I would have done differently would have been to convince the owners of the property where my wedding was held to let us extend the celebration a few hours longer!

Thank you Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment